Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thinner by Stephen King/Richard Bachman: A Book Review (No Spoilers)


  https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCrazyJake451?feature=mhee  
     Hi I'm Jake Stief and I am going to review the novel Thinner by Stephen King or Richard Bachman, they are the same people.  And that is precisely what it is.  Thinner.  If you have read King before you would know that this book falls short of Kings standard book size by about 300 pages.   But longer isn't always better.  I would have never finished this book had it been 600 pages.  If it was too short the story would have ended having you feel a little empty.  Some people say they don't want to read this book because the synopsis of this book sounds like a prolonged short story.  I disagree though, because there is a lot of subplot which is something you can generally find in a king book.   I rate it 5/5
      As for all of my book reviews I must give away part of the plot in order to convince you to read this book.  I will only give the bare minimum though so continue at your own cost.  So this books main character is Billie Halleck and he accidentally runs over a Gypsies daughter while his own wife is... Well I'll let you find that one out.  After going to court the old Gypsy puts a curse on him by rubbing his old shriveled finger across Billie's chubby face while whispering the word Thinner to him.  Since then Billie who is obese as it is begins to lose weight each day.  Once Billie realizes that the gypsy cursed him, he tries to find the gypsy and traces him all the way up the eastern sea border.  The rest is for you to find out.  There are of course other variables and subplots which I mentioned earlier such as Billie's daughter, researchers trying to study his case and such.  The horror part of King doesn't really come out from King really until the last 1/3 of the book, so I'd classify this one as thriller or a very subtle mystery. 
      One thing I didn't really like is that the old Gypsy was portrayed to be an Antagonist, while really he is just a father looking for revenge.  I honestly don't see anything wrong with what the gypsy did in the book.  On the flip side Billie is made to look like the protagonist but he wasn't cursed for any reason.  He killed the man's daughter, so he should pay. 
       The ending was actually one of King's better endings.  If you ask me I'd say his books as Richard Bachman better than MOST of the books under King's names.  They just seem to be layed out better and have better endings that leave you hanging.  In thinner the ending is a twist and almost makes the whole story irrelevant but if it wasn't it just wouldn't be Stephen King.
      Need I tell you about detail?  Come on.  It's the King we are talking about.  Perfect amount of description for everything with just a hint more for the gruesome parts, just the way I like it.

If you have any question comments please Email me at crazyjake451@yahoo.com
Be sure to subscribe and have a great day!! : )

Jake E. Stief
LZ Productions
Biblophile Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment